Monday, August 27, 2018

A Draba or a Silphium?

Essays from class with Carol Burdick, A Place in the Universe, 2001
Would you rather be a Draba or a Silphium?

Being a Draba is tempting but I wish to be a Silphium. I couldn't think of anything more wonderful than growing for years and years to put my tap root into the earth so far that hours of sweating with an ax and shovel, a mattock and pry-bar, a pick and garden knife would fail to dislodge me.

I'd stand so confident, so solid, so certain in my being that a back hoe couldn't keep me from flowering in triumph, though asphalt if I chose. Yes, please, make me a Silhium and let the bison, brown and shaggy or black and white, nibble on my unbeaten stem and send Aldo to collect my seeds, future children of a simple soil world.


(Are dandelions related to Silpium? When we paved our driveway, the previous owners, dandelions, pushed through six inches of blacktop to blossom as they always had. I was cruel, dowsing them with vinegar and whomping the bumps in the paving with a sledge defeating them but recognizing that their growth was impressive.

silphium sunflower tribe within the daisy family

draba reptans, Carolina whitlow grass

No comments: