Saturday, March 8, 2014

Gem - Accepted in the Lakeside Statewide Show, Oswego, NY

The story of making Gem: All of my sculptures begin with paper pieces. When the design is settled, well mostly settled, in my mind, I use the pieces as patterns to cut the shapes needed in the colors I find. I don't paint anything. All the color is found on cans. Gem is entirely cut from a one gallon Gem brand olive oil can.

These are paper pieces glued to part of a metal can.

 Individual pieces are drilled and riveted to a backing sheet.








              GEM's STORY:  I started working with tin cans, more accurately tin coated steel cans as well as aluminum cans, in 2010 in a class taught by Charles Orlando in Belmont NY. I’d spent 40 years working as a potter with gray, dusty, dirty, dull clay and glazes and suddenly colorful tin cans were piled before me. I dashed to my doctor for a Tetanus shot, ordered tools and turned a new eye toward found objects.
                All of the pieces of Gem were cut from one Gem olive oil can riveted to a stove burner cover. Gem was attached to a carved piece I carried home from a trip to China in 2003. Gem’s design is in keeping with the majority of my other tin works representing birds and birdish looking creatures. 



No comments: